Malcolm's Painting Matters

Providing encouragement, stimulation and development, while having a good time, for the beginner as well as the developing artist.

Painting a Pen & Wash: Capel Hebron, Llanberis

Leave a comment

Here I was trying out some new Bockingford Hot Pressed paper for the first time.  I had cut a full imperial sheet into A4 pieces (this size fits better on my scanner) and then taped one onto a drawing board.  (note that you can see some lines marked on the board – I did this so it helps line up the paper when taping it down – it helps a bit but I would not knock myself out to do it to all my boards).

The Start of the Drawing

Using a dip pen with a handwriting nib attached (an old one from the early 1900s – I find them better than drawing nibs which I find extremely scratchy and anyway my grandfather, who liked a good pen, had kindly squirreled away quite a number) I started with the roof and RHS of the building using black Indian ink which is waterproof.  NOTE that there are no pencil marks as I like to live dangerously and draw directly with the pen.  Its quicker and doesn’t feel as rigid as copying over pencil marks and you don’t have to rub out and risk damaging the paper.  When starting your drawing look for a starting point that will allow you to establish the perspective from an early stage as I find this way less terrifying and one can then enjoy the rest of the drawing panic free.  I put in the roof with the roof spars next as this made it easier to place the windows in the next stage.

Next I added the LHS wall and broken down bits and established a base line for the main building.  Once the base line was in (if you look closely you can probably see three as I made corrections but this looks like part of the drawing and helps to add contour) I added the windows. Then the gate was added and style and some bits of reeds and a few more contour lines.  

Capel Hebron: Complete with Washes Added

Capel Hebron: Complete with Washes Added

Finally I added the wash. To begin with I gust contemplated using three colours (Ultramarine, Burnt Umber and New Gamboge) but I added Yellow Ochre as well as I had got some new from the SAA and wanted to try it out and it helps to give a slightly earthier green.  I used in places a mix of Yellow Ochre and N Gamboge a nd Ultramarine and in others just the N Gamboge and U Marine which gives a cleaner and brighter green.  The greys and Grey Blues were Burnt Sienna and U Marine mixed and a good brown can be had with a little blue added to the Burnt Sienna.  The initial wash was applied with a 12 round and the fields above the roof put in adding colour wet into wet.  I wet the paper first down to the roof. The rest of the building was painted using a size 7 round and most unfortunately I ended up with a small cauliflower on LHS of the roof! I could have left it as it wasn’t a proper cauliflower just a lighter patch but I decided to be daring and re wet the area above the roof with a small goat haired flat brush and sorted the problem

Enjoy 🙂

For details of painting classes see malcolmmbullock.co.uk

Author: Malcolm M. Bullock

Artist - mountains and water but sometimes flowers and abstract I enjoy painting but also hill-walking and climbing (when the legs work). I also enjoy fly fishing for anything that resembles a fish. a new (rediscovered) interest is cycling but the sort that involves pushing a heavy bike up a hill and riding it as fast as possible back down again. I also enjoy building all my bikes from the frame up so they are pretty unique things. I also enjoy wine - preferably red. My biggest interest though is my family :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s